[ale] web page creation app

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Fri May 30 16:55:21 EDT 2008

On Fri May 30 2008, Robert Reese~ wrote:
> Well, learning HTML is a helluva lot easier than learning Linux.  Trust me,
> two hours a day for a week or two and you'll have a good command over the
> language.
well, since I've know *NIX for 20+ years :)
I did a web page for furtunecity about 10 years ago, on a windows platform,
using notepad.. I modified it a few years later for Bellsouth.. It has
folders for vacation pictures, and college pictures of our kids. What I want
now is similar, almost as easy, but folders for pictures, etc for our
soon-to-be- grandkid:) I'm not a programmer, I don't like pain, but I will
try something that includes CSS, I'm not sure javascript is necessary..

> Or, just bypass that and drop a Content Management System on the site.
>  Wordpress is probably the easiest.  Drupal and others are similar in their
> ease of installation and use.  Or, if you plan on a heavy-duty system, go
> with Joomla.  Chances are, your host will already have a "three-click"
> install.  Never _that_ simple, but you can have it installed and running in
> under five minutes.  Seriously.  Give it a try.
I thought wordpress was a blogging tool?
drupal  "and others.." ??
definitely NOT heavy duty.. my host is amscomputers, mentioned here by
others.. they have cpanel, I setup the ftp user, but thats as far as I 've
got.

> If you are interested in learning HTML, do it when you don't feel
> pressured.  And get a good book on it, like Laura Lemay's book; I consider
> hers to be the best but YMMV.  Once you have a good grip on it, you'll be
> much happier with any system you encounter.

I don't want to make a living doing this, I don't need to learn C++ for a 2-4
page home web site, I just want to add a few pictures,etc..

> Oh, and no matter what you do, get started on CSS and JavaScript.  You'll
> find them lifesavers!
get started?? I could probably steal someones web site that had similar
content, and substitute my pictures, but I thought it wouldn't be TOO big a
deal to just create a small web site.. or am I dreaming...

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800