[ale] adding a new HD

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Thu May 29 13:59:45 EDT 2008

ouch.. ok, I need a lesson in SATA drives I guess..
I had an old spare 160GB IDE drive that I "thought" I would add to my new DELL
PC. It has a ( almot full) 250Gb SATA drive. When I opened it up I saw the 2
drive bays on the bottom of the PC, and a spare power cord, but no double
ribbon cable or IDE cable. SO.. what gives? I read the MANUAL ( almost as
useless as MAN pages) and all it says is to "plug in the cables"  set it to
ON in the BIOS and voila!
Looks like you  add a second ribbon cable from drive 1 to drive 0, with the
primary cable going to the motherboard from drive 1? or is it the other way
around...
any other gotchas??
dare I ask for a favorite SATA drive?
--