[ale] Fedora 9

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Tue May 27 16:41:50 EDT 2008

On Monday 26 May 2008, Brian Pitts wrote:
> You can set $HISTIGNORE to filter out commands you don't want saved in
> your history, but it only works on exact matches.

Hey thanks! From the link below, I cobbled this together 'export
HISTIGNORE="&:ls:cd:su"' and immediately noticed two things. First, including
cd was a waste as I never use it alone. Second, it only works on new entries
so still have to clean up manually at least once.

> Are you familiar with using ! and ctrl-r to search your history? They're
> both real timesavers.

Bit nervous about some of that... Probably should not be since I don't delete
stuff from the command line. May play with it a bit later:) Just
finding 'history' is a big help too! I can skim read a lot faster scrolling a
whole page than a single (changing) line.

> http://www.talug.org/events/20030709/cmdline_history.html

Bookmarked.
--
William