[ale] Fedora 9

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Tue May 27 06:25:53 EDT 2008

Jim Kinney wrote:
> And it's a rip-snorting pile of dog poo. You can only install one
> package at a time. Maybe that's easier for noobs but I found it to be
> a time waster. yumex is great for all purpose use and pirut can also
> be reinstalled (cli:  yum update yum rpm && yum install pirut yumex ).
>
> The big change is the new package tool no longer asks for root
> password for updates to installed packages. It requires root password
> to install new packages. I can see the logic of that but I'm not real
> happy with it.
I too thought that was a little odd. As far as pirut goes, when you go
to install pirut it installs gnome-packagekit. But I agree, it's a PITA
when you want to install a bunch of packages, you gotta wait for each
one to complete before it allows you to request more. I guess yumex
maybe the way to go.