[ale] MacBook Linux

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Sat May 24 14:19:36 EDT 2008

After watching the MacBook I got to test software for my clients gather dust for a couple of months, I decided I should make it useful.

I installed Tiger and Leopard onto a couple of partitions on an external firewire drive and formatted the internal drive and installed openSUSE 10.3

It now is my primary workstation, and it works great.
Of course there are a couple of issues, one minor and one major.

The first is that I have not been able to get the wheel on my bluetooth mouse to work no matter what configuration I try.  This is not a huge issue, because the wireless USB mouse I have works flawlessly.

The second issue, which is a major problem because of some of the remote system utilities I need to run, is the lack of an insert key.

I've been all over the web trying to find a solution for this.  Once you get past the 90% of the responses that start out "Macs don't need an insert key, you're stoopid to need one..", almost all the rest have to do with how to work around it when running OSX or Windows using parallels or bootcamp.

I suspect there should be an easy way to map a key for this, but I haven't been able to find the simple one-click solution that I'd really like to find.

Does any one have any ideas on this?

-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.