[ale] Trying to understand mysql licensing

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri May 23 21:58:48 EDT 2008

Get a lawyer!!!

My $0.02:

If your company distributes a product that uses MySQL AND your product is
NOT open source (i.e. gpl or other OSI approved licence) your company is
required to secure a license from MySQL that allows redistribution of of
MySQL.

If you think about it, your company makes $$ selling your code that
_requires_ MySQL. Thus your company is required to enter into a business
agreement that also benefits the finances of MySQL. The key issue here is
you redistribute MySQL in a closed format. You customers can see your code
(it's an interpreted language) but they are not allowed the freedom to
tinker with and redistribute your code. So it's a proprietary redistribution
of MySQL and that requires paying a license fee to them. Just as your can't
build an application using Oracle and sell your app with Oracle preinstalled
using your Oracle development license you can't do it with MySQL either. If
you MUST distribute your product with a preinstalled database system AND
your beancounters are total duffusses (i.e. cheap bastards) rework your
product touse PostreSQL which is under a BSD license and CAN be
redistributed without paying any fees (it's a really rock solid, fast
big-league RDBMS that out classes MySQL in many ways).

So tell your business they need to plan on giving some cash to MySQL
(besides, it's a good thing to support the tools you use for your income by
throwing cash at them).

James P. Kinney III