[ale] backup generator -- on the cheap

Horwitz International, LLC info at horwitzinternational.com
Mon May 19 20:10:11 EDT 2008

Be very careful!!

The generator & UPS is a matched couple and, as we all know, not all couples
are the same. If you install a mismatched pair, you will create even greater
problems than what you currently have.

In order to get a reliable sustainable solution you need to clearly quantify
you power needs from a startup & continuous draw perspective. Size both the
generator & Inverter appropriately and coupe that with a dedicated panel
that will facilitate bi-directional cut-over without spikes.

Additionally, it is HIGHLY advisable that you install a TVSS on both the
main and Generator panels - this will assist greatly when you are a victim
of voltage irregularities.

You get exactly what you pay for - if you go cheap, it will cost you in the
long run. We have had numerous customers who have experienced major
electrical fires as a result of not taking this seriously.

It matters not how small or large the system is.

Good Luck

Roland Horwitz.
Horwitz International, LLC