[ale] Totem, GStreamer, and DVDs

Marc Ferguson mferguson at digitalalias.net
Sun May 18 12:33:02 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have Totem 2.20.1 using GStreamer 0.10.15.  When I first tried to play
a DVD using Totem I got an error message saying it didn't have the right
codex.  I installed GStreamer, but I still got the codex error.  I went
on GStreamer's site and found a command that tests the plugins.. it told
me I had over 100 plugins.  But the error message still came up.

Over the course of a day or so I must have rebooted my system.
Miraculously the DVD played, I thought to myself, I guess X server
needed to be restarted or something.

Well; I got my next DVD from Netflix (King of Kong) and I'm getting the
same codex error.  Does anyone know what's going on?  Thanks.

Marc F.
"Linux Noobiouscorpus"