[ale] 2nd try. First never made it. Looking for a simple method to generate Spanish language characters.

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed May 14 13:57:01 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 10:02 -0600, JK wrote:
> I think it's actually a function of the PC/AT keyboard
> design.  I've used this technique under Linux and
> on a tiny OS of my own creation (which used the BIOS
> keyboard driver), so I don't think it's Windows-specific.

Interesting.

It has never worked on any Linux system *I* have used.  You may have had
software installed to catch those keypresses.  They are not monitored
for by Windows, and the keyboard simply sends keycodes.  It knows
nothing about characters outside of its character set, it just sends
keyboard codes to the computer, which sends it to the operating system,
application, etc., etc.

The keyboard's controller is actually pretty "dumb", relatively
speaking.  But, we're wandering off... but I would be interested to know
what software there is that takes Windows character codes and maps them
to Unicode characters, for the Alt combinations that do not start with a
zero.

	--- Mike

Michael B. Trausch                                   mike at trausch.us
home: 404-592-5746, 1                                 www.trausch.us