[ale] curious spam

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue May 13 08:25:49 EDT 2008

It is randomly generated crap. Several people have created gmail accounts to
test with addresses like sdolihjerndsj at gmail.com and
s7fl0sm3bhks5 at gmail.comand as soon as the accounts exist, they get
crap.

I am _SO_ ready for IPv6! That will cut the feet out from under a sizable
chunk of the spam process and make tracking the rest for public pummeling
far easier.

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 7:39 AM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com>
wrote:

> So, I'm quite curious.  I changed my dsl to bellsouth and in doing so,
> you must create an email address of the form user at bellsouth.net, which I
> did.
>
> Beyond that effort, I do not use this email address, but I've set it up
> to forward to one I do use as Bellsouth/AT&T says they will send
> administrative emails to that address.
>
> It's not been a month and already I'm receiving spam to that email
> address.  How is this even possible?  Is AT&T/Bellsouth publishing these
> addresses in some way?
>
> The email address is not 'intuitively obvious to the casual observer,'
> thus I don't think it's an automated email generator that's sending me
> the spam.
>
> --
> Until later, Geoffrey
>
> Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
> temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
>  - Benjamin Franklin

James P. Kinney III