[ale] SEEKING REMOTE PRINTING EDUCATION

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue May 13 04:58:52 EDT 2008

>From this description I assume the printer is physically connected to the
Ubuntu machine by USB or parallel cable.

If so, that machine must be configed to "share" the printer. Easiest route
is to use the web tool for cups on the Ubuntu box . Browse to
http://localhost:631, then administration, the check the  "Share" and "Allow
printing from the Internet" (Block access to the printer at the firewall)
and then set your Centos to use IPP.

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Stephen R. Blevins <srblevi at worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

> Situation:
>    1)  I recently re-installed Centos 5.1, thereby necessitating my
> re-establishing previously-working remote printing.  Printer device is
> defined as IPP (Internet Printing Protocol).
>    2)  My wife's system just upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04, Hardy Heron.  The
> Ubuntu FireWall was enabled, and a 631/udp rule was "allowed" (settings
> dictated by the Centos Deployment Guide).  This has been the printer
> server for the remote printer defined on my Centos system.  It
> functioned under Ubuntu 7.10, Gutsy Gibbon.  Local printing on this
> system functions.
>
> Problem:
>    Attempts to print from the Centos system through the Ubuntu system
> to the Ubuntu printer do not function (print jobs hang in the Centos
> printer queue).  Redefining the Centos printer device as LPD/LPR doesn't
> help (besides, the labels say this definition is for UNIX printer
> servers, not Linux printer servers).
>
> Question:
>    What lack I yet?
>

> --