[ale] Dual Opteron Motherboard Recommendations

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Sun May 11 06:42:14 EDT 2008

On Saturday 10 May 2008, Brian W. Neu wrote:
>snips
>     I'd reconsider your stance on buying a new processor.  I just bought
> a dual core Athlon 64 5400+ (2.8 Ghz) for $87 . . . and it absolutely
> screams(though I did overclock it just a tad).  If you go AM2 & DDR2
> 800, make sure to buy a processor with speed rating evenly divisible by
> 400Mhz, so your RAM runs at full speed.

The marketing speed (5400) or the true speed (2.8 Ghz)?

Thanks! I did not know this. I always just buy the one at the point on the
price curve where it starts to steepen. For example the next slower one at
the time I bought mine would have saved $10 and the next higher one cost $30
more. Apparently there is a flaw in my logic...

Doing the math, it apeares both of your speeds are evenly divsable by 400.
Checking mine, 4600 is not but 2.4 is.
--
William