[ale] Trouble Retrieving Files under Hardy Heron

george_reeves at comcast.net george_reeves at comcast.net
Sat May 10 11:21:08 EDT 2008

I am between a rock and a hard place and I need suggestions.  Here is my predicament:

1. I had a Pentium 4 system with 1Gb of memory.  I had multiple IDE drives in "mobile racks" or "cassettes" so that I could boot the particular system that I wanted.  I had a disk with Kubuntu Feisty Fawn, a disk with Windows XP, a disk with Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon, etc.

2. I had an overheating problem and fried my CPU.  I replaced the mobo, CPU, and memory [Asus P5GC-MX/1333 / Pentium Dual Core 6550 / 2Gb RAM] and am having difficulty booting Kubuntu Feisty Fawn.  It gives me a GRUB Error 15.

3. I installed Ubuntu 8.04 on a spare SATA drive successfully and thought I could boot to Hardy Heron and mount the Feisty Fawn IDE and copy the data files from it, but no luck.  My fstab show only the SATA drive; my file browser sees a "SCSI" drive, but when I try to mount it, I get a "Unable to mount location; can't mount file" message.  When I look at the properties, I see--
	Type: 		unknown type
	Size:		        unknown
	Location:	        computer:///
	Volume:		unknown
	MIME type:	application/octet-stream

I can create a mount point for it, but how do I reference the drive to mount it?  My BIOS sees the drive also.

4. I think my best bet would be to get around the Error 15 GRUB error, but how do I correct the error to get around it?

5. I have booted to a Knoppix live-CD and an Ubuntu live-CD, but I can't see the IDE disk there.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

George Reeves
WA4TNU