[ale] Dual Opteron Motherboard Recommendations

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri May 9 23:07:20 EDT 2008

Those are the two best board makers out there. While there are many larger
volume makers, most put another name on their products for the likes of
Dell, HP, etc. Until a forklift used a Tyan board (and system) for a
jousting target during shipping, I have had no problems with Tyan boards.
They have a better line for Opteron than does SuperMicro (more Intel
oriented).

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Greg Canter <gcanter at atnex.net> wrote:

> I have an old Arima HDAMC motherboard that runs 2 Opteron 246's (Socket
> 940)
> that is starting to show it's age (I got it from Monarch in their heyday)
> and I am looking for a replacement.  The only things I see on the market
> are
> SuperMicro and Tyan boards.  I have had problems with one Tyan that I had
> (server motherboard) and have not heard great things about SuperMicro.
>
> Does anyone have any experience/recommendations for a dual Opteron
> motherboard ??  I understand they are dying breed due to multi-cores (mine
> has AGP even) but I am not really wanting to buy a new processor if I can
> help it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg

James P. Kinney III