[ale] SEEKING REMOTE PRINTING EDUCATION

Stephen R. Blevins srblevi at worldnet.att.net
Fri May 9 13:46:13 EDT 2008

Situation:
    1)  I recently re-installed Centos 5.1, thereby necessitating my
re-establishing previously-working remote printing.  Printer device is
defined as IPP (Internet Printing Protocol).
    2)  My wife's system just upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04, Hardy Heron.  The
Ubuntu FireWall was enabled, and a 631/udp rule was "allowed" (settings
dictated by the Centos Deployment Guide).  This has been the printer
server for the remote printer defined on my Centos system.  It
functioned under Ubuntu 7.10, Gutsy Gibbon.  Local printing on this
system functions.

Problem:
    Attempts to print from the Centos system through the Ubuntu system
to the Ubuntu printer do not function (print jobs hang in the Centos
printer queue).  Redefining the Centos printer device as LPD/LPR doesn't
help (besides, the labels say this definition is for UNIX printer
servers, not Linux printer servers).

Question:
    What lack I yet?

--