[ale] printers

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri May 9 13:02:21 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 11:13 -0400, Scott Castaline wrote:
> It looks like you've entered dependency hell. It also looks like
> Michael's suggestion for pbuilder is a fixit for this in the debian
> world, just looking at it briefly. I'm in the RPM world, slightly
> different.

Well, it is Debian testing, and Debian testing's archives are permitted
to be inconsistent over time.  They are, after all, ever-changing.  :)

If a situation like that occurred in the stable archives, there'd be
hell to pay.  In stable, that'd be a huge error, because dependencies
are tracked by humans.  (What I am curious about is why it's not a =>
dependency, anyway, but I haven't checked out the package at all so
there could be a reason I don't know about, but if that's the case, then
some more work needs to be done to make it happen.)

Using pbuilder is one way of doing it (frankly, one of the easier ways,
because it keeps your host system clean).  You can also use debuild in
various ways to create binary packages, but that involves doing "apt-get
build-dep <nameofpackage>", which is not an easily reversible operation.
pbuilder just a very nice, extensible system for building binary
packages from source, in a contained area of your system.

	--- Mike

Michael B. Trausch                                   mike at trausch.us
home: 404-592-5746, 1                                 www.trausch.us
cell: 678-522-7934                       im: mike at trausch.us, jabber