[ale] dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Fri May 9 11:13:38 EDT 2008

JK wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>> Jim Kinney wrote:
>>
>>> I always love the vi vs emacs stuff. It lets me tell the difference between
>>> the programmers and the admins. :)
>>>
>> Not always an accurate assumption though.  I would count myself more of
>> a programmer then an admin, and in my early years, I was purely a C
>> programmer using vi.
>>

> Strangely, I interpreted Jim in exactly the opposite sense than you
> did.  I thought
> he was implying, "admins use Emacs, programmers use vi"...

My interpretation was based on the end of his post wherein he noted that
vi is pretty much 'globally' available, whereas emacs is not.

If you think about the early world of UNIX, it makes sense.  We were
running time reporting systems on boxes that maxed out at 4 meg of
memory.  That's 4 meg, not gig.  There was the old joke that emacs stood
for 'eight megs and always swapping' which was funny back then, but
makes no sense now. ;)

> I got started with Emacs when as a grad student I was made sysadmin of a
> network of Sun workstations.  The first time I was confronted with vi, years
> later, I believe I panicked and killed the process from another console :-)

I think you'll find that folks who are more familiar with the bsd
variants are more likely to be emacs users.  (I think Bob Toxen will be
an exception there, I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong).

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin