[ale] dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu May 8 23:29:46 EDT 2008

Jim Kinney wrote:
> I always love the vi vs emacs stuff. It lets me tell the difference
> between the programmers and the admins. :)
>
> The database machine just horked, today is payroll day, the data can't
> get sent over until YOU get that clunker back up and running.
>
> you are sitting at a prompt in run level 1. Nothing will mount. Every
> module you hand load pukes errors across STDOUT. You have to hand edit
> probably 20 configs in /etc so you will get paid on time this week.
> You had to strip the machine down to 32MB

[snip totally late-20th-century scenario that reminds me frighteningly
of a couple of Google interview questions...]

> Even if you master emacs learn the basics of vi: open and close files,
> edit a simple line, copy and delete a line, basic movements around a
> file and basic search within a file.

See here, young man:

   http://kneuro.net/vi-for-emacs/

(Corrections and suggestions for enhancement are most welcome,
incidentally.)

Unfortunately, I think life might literally be too short to fully master
both Emacs and vi...

-- JK

--
I do not particularly want to go where the money is -
 it usually does not smell nice there. -- A. Stepanov