[ale] dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Wed May 7 18:54:37 EDT 2008

Chris Fowler wrote:
> So basically is Xorg fails at detecting the optimum settings we do what
> we did in the beginning and use vi to fix those?  And this is better
> how?

I agree it's unfortunate that dpkg-reconfigure, even when the priority
is set to low, no longer asks questions about driver, resolutions, etc.
According to this [0], there should still be an interface you can use to
reconfigure X, but I'm not certain what it is. Perhaps they mean
displayconfig-gtk; it's still around even though there is no menu item
for it.

[0] From
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Specs/HardyHardwareDetection,
"Debconf interface: For manual tweaks and situations where X.org does
not start at all, we should still provide a lightweight debconf
interface. However, this should use libxf86config, pyxf86config, or
guidance-backends and thus respect the settings in the existing
xorg.conf instead of clobbering it with the debconf values and abusing
debconf as a database. Debian is about to do the same changes for X.org,
and their and Ubuntu's X.org maintainers are working together on this."

-Brian