[ale] Broadband mobile cards

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sun May 4 13:04:37 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-05-04 at 12:00 -0400, ale-request at ale.org wrote:
>     Just sending out a feeler for comments and suggestions regarding
> mobile broadband cards. I've been with Sprint since '98 and recently
> switched from my Palm Treo 650 to the Palm Centro. I'd had my 650
> doing
> BT DUN but with the Centro they've disabled this function and require
> the use of the USB cable. So I'm looking at the possibility of getting
> mobile broadband card and wanted to see if anyone was currently using
> any particular model with good results on Linux.
>
>     I've heard reports of both USB and ExpressCard models being
> supported but would like to be certain of support before I drop the
> money on a card.

I've staid away from these cards but have a new hope.  There are reports
that certain cards do work with Linux.  I would read the reports and
then shop on eBay.

I saw something about 3 months ago I fell in love with.  It is a
Kyrocera(sp?) KR-1 router.  It is a router like a Linksys but it has no
WAN port.  Instead it has a PCMCIA slot for an EVDO card.  What I like
about this is that it makes the card somewhat OS independent.  It puts
it on a router so many computers can use the connection.  Downside?
Well it is a router so it would be hard to get online while waiting to
board your plane at Hartsfield.

The guy I know that owned the one I saw rigged up a power support to
plug into the cigarette lighter on his car.  For mobile operation.  He
also had a cellular amplifier that he said his has used from time to
time in spot with spotty coverage.  This amplifier boosts transmit.

The only thing stopping me from buying the KR-1 is that I REALLY do not
need this type of access.  I do travel and when I do I always stay at a
hotel with Internet.  I have a Bonigo account where I pay around $8/24hr
if I ever need access in thousands of locations.  I've used it 3 times
in 3 years.  I have somewhat of a private life and if I'm away I can't
be fixing your computer right now :)

If I did need access I would be all over that KR-1 ;)

Chris