[ale] Best firewall/router disti with PPOE

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Sat Mar 29 10:59:12 EDT 2008

On Fri 2008-03-28 14:58:13 -0400, Brian Pitts wrote:

> I can second this approach. You can get a router that's probably as
> powerful as your current PC [0] but will use only a half-dozen watts.

Agreed.  My home router is an Alix2c3:

  http://pcengines.ch/alix2c3.htm

It's currently running debian, which is a nice convenience compared to
the more limited openwrt.  3 built-in NICs, two USB ports, a miniPCI
slot, 500MHz x86-compatible processor, 256MB of RAM, standard DB9
serial console (bios over the console, too!), and a CF adapter.

I've had no problems with it at all, it's totally silent, and it draws
far less power than anything else i've used in the same capacity.

My one change was that i added in a battery to the mainboard so that
it would retain the clock across power loss (and i haven't had any
power loss, so that was a Fun Adventure in Soldering instead of a
critical operation).

What's more, the principal behind the group making it (it could be
just him, afaik) was very responsive when i wrote asking what model of
battery i should get, and also immediately updated the published
documentation with the info.  This is not a faceless corp.

it's a bit more expensive than one of the linksys or asus units, but
i've been very happy with it.

     --dkg