[ale] making a usb thumb drive bootable from a dvd install disk

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Mar 28 13:40:46 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 13:15 -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> Anyone got any pointers how I can create a bootable usb thumbdrive from
> my Red Hat DVD install disk?

	Start here:

	http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/LiveCDHowTo

	From there follow to here:

	http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo

	I've done this with F8 but they claim it should be largely distro
agnostic (presuming yum based since you use yum to install the Live
Tools).

	One gotcha I ran into.  Forget about using QEMU to test the images.
Not once have I been able to get QEMU to work with those images but the
images (CD and USB) boot systems perfectly.

> I want to install from the usb drive.

> --
> Until later, Geoffrey
>
> Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
> temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
>   - Benjamin Franklin

	Regards,
	Mike