[ale] gpg

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Thu Mar 27 07:19:32 EDT 2008

On Wed March 26 2008, kilpo1 wrote:
> need a bit of help.
> I'm trying to get a new box set up.
> Need to get pgp/gpg set up and running.
> I'm guessing I need to run <yum install gpg> but how do I
> import my existing key ring and keys from my old box, which is still
> running?  There are a number of gpg files in /usr/bin, but some of them
> are links and I am very unsure which ones to move to the new box.
>
> Advice would be appreciated.

you might also subscribe to the gnupg-user group, I did..

there is a new version just out:

We are pleased to announce the availability of a new stable GnuPG-1
release: Version 1.4.9.  This is a maintenance release to fix a possible
vulnerability introduced with 1.4.8.

The GNU Privacy Guard (GnuPG) is GNU's tool for secure communication
and data storage.  It is a complete and free replacement of PGP and
can be used to encrypt data and to create digital signatures.  It
includes an advanced key management facility, samrtcard support and is
compliant with the OpenPGP Internet standard as described by RFC-4880
(the recently released update of RFC-2440).

Note that this version is from the GnuPG-1 series and thus smaller
than those from the GnuPG-2 series, easier to build and also better
portable.  In contrast to GnuPG-2 (e.g version 2.0.8) it comes with no
support for S/MIME or other tools useful for desktop environments.
Fortunately you may install both versions alongside on the same system
without any conflict.

Getting the Software
====================

Please follow the instructions found at http://www.gnupg.org/download/
or read on:

GnuPG 1.4.9 may be downloaded from one of the GnuPG mirror sites or
direct from ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/ .  The list of mirrors can be
found at http://www.gnupg.org/mirrors.html .  Note, that GnuPG is not
available at ftp.gnu.org.

On the mirrors you should find the following files in the *gnupg*
directory:

  gnupg-1.4.9.tar.bz2 (3250k)
  gnupg-1.4.9.tar.bz2.sig

      GnuPG source compressed using BZIP2 and OpenPGP signature.

  gnupg-1.4.9.tar.gz (4554k)
  gnupg-1.4.9.tar.gz.sig

      GnuPG source compressed using GZIP and OpenPGP signature.

  gnupg-1.4.8-1.4.9.diff.bz2 (12k)

      A patch file to upgrade a 1.4.8 GnuPG source.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800