[ale] Weird ubuntu tricks...

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Wed Mar 26 22:19:30 EDT 2008

Brian Schenken wrote:
> Also make sure your powersupply has enough juice, sadly all the 250, 300
> watt power supplies we have lying around are becoming obsolete.

Can this really be true? CPU power usage is going down not up; most
desktop parts are 65-watt and 45-watt is being introduced. My computer
(Athlon X2 3600, 4 sticks of ram, 1 hdd, one dvdrw) idles at less than
70 watts. If I start glxgears and 'stress -c 2 -i 2 -m 2 -d 2' it only
pulls another 60 watts. When I had a Geforce 7900GS attached that only
added 20 extra watts at idle.

-Brian