[ale] Weird ubuntu tricks...

William wylde durtybill at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 22:06:07 EDT 2008

I'm running 64-bit ubuntu on a machine I built from scratch.  It has a
1gb RAM, One 300gb SATA drive, and one 300gb IDE drive.  The display is
running on a Nvidia G-Force 7 chipset, EPCI interface, with 512mb VRAM
onboard (there is no fan on the board- I throw this in because I think
it may prove relevant).

This system runs fine until I try to use the opengl subsystem- and it's
configured properly.  The proprietary Nvidia drivers are installed via
envy & apparently configuered correctly.  And 3d apps will work for a
few minutes before crashing.

Unreal 1 will run seemingly forever- but I wasn't able to maintain
attention to the game for more than the first few maps of the opening
level, so it might eventually cause the system to crash, as well.

When the system crashes, the monitor loses the signal from the card, and
it seems the entire system will freeze, since I have to turn the system
completely off both with the power-on switch and the input switch on the
back of the power-supply, then turn it all back on before I can start
the sytem again.  A hard reset- though it works when the system is
stable- will not reboot the system when the crash occurs.

I was wondering whether this was simply a case of the GPU on my card
getting hot and shutting down (i.e. I need to get a cooling unit for the
card), or if there might be a software issue somewhere under it all that
I'm overlooking.

If it's a software problem, I'll need to get it fixed whether I get a
GPU cooler or not...   And I figure this is the place to get opinions on
the matter...  :)

Which I guess I'm going to do.  It'll make me feel better about it
all... heh.