[ale] dokuwiki and comments

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Mar 23 20:17:31 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 19:45 -0400, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 19:31 -0400, Brian Pitts wrote:
> > they need to use an OpenID

> What is OpenID?

	A federated ID system and an OpenSource one at that.

	http://www.openid.org/start.aspx

	You can get a free OpenID ID at StartSSL:

	http://www.startssl.com/

	Just follow the StartSSL Open Identity link.  You register with them
and get a browser certificate that allows you to log in, just go to the
control panel and then register or login.

	My OpenID ID is: https://mwarfield.startssl.com

	Start SSL is one of the root CA's so they should be pretty well
accepted by sites accepting OpenID.  As I understand it, you use the
OpenID as the user id at supporting sites and, when they go to verify
you, if you have not verified with the CA recently, they (the CA) will
verify you and cache that.  In the case of StartSSL, they verify based
on the browser cert, so you don't go through the login BS.

	Anyone CAN become an OpenID provider but there's no guarantee that they
will be trusted.  Sort of like being your own CA (which I am, but I
still use the CACert certificates and StartSSL certificates).

	StartSSL also has a WoT (web of trust) certifier system similar to
CACert and Thawte's WoT notary system.

	Mike