[ale] userdir in Apache

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sat Mar 22 14:07:41 EDT 2008

I'm using the mod_userdir module in apache to serve up pages in user
directories.  It seems to work great with the exception that all
directories must have an 'index.html' file in them.  Without that there
is no permission to view the directory.  Some directories have files I
want to display normally in the browser.  Can someone tell me that
changes to make to the config?

#
# UserDir: The name of the directory that is appended onto a user's home
# directory if a ~user request is received.
#
# The path to the end user account 'public_html' directory must be
# accessible to the webserver userid.  This usually means that ~userid
# must have permissions of 711, ~userid/public_html must have
permissions
# of 755, and documents contained therein must be world-readable.
# Otherwise, the client will only receive a "403 Forbidden" message.
#
# See also: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#forbidden
#
<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
    #
    # UserDir is disabled by default since it can confirm the presence
    # of a username on the system (depending on home directory
    # permissions).
    #
    #UserDir disable

    #
    # To enable requests to /~user/ to serve the user's public_html
    # directory, remove the "UserDir disable" line above, and uncomment
    # the following line instead:
    #
    UserDir public_html

</IfModule>

<Directory /home/*/public_html/cgi-bin/>
        Options ExecCGI
        SetHandler cgi-script
</Directory>

Chris