[ale] OT: bad sound card or bad speakers?

Steve Brown braino420 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 08:50:12 EDT 2008

Dr. Brian J. Dowd wrote:

> > I have the same card with the same problem ...
> > and it wasn't crackling a until a few weeks ago
> > when I started loading ivtv drivers /et al/.
> > "Gotta be a driver." (Ubuntu 7.10)

 I just recently put my Audigy 2 into one of my computers because I was
having the crackling problem at high volumes with the onboard VIA82xx
chipset. I haven't noticed any crackling; I'm using the emu10k1 module in
Ubuntu 7.10. The only thing special I had to do was modify
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base to make sure the Audigy 2 loaded before the
VIA82xx (I didn't have much luck mucking around with the sound gui). I'm not
sure what other info would be relevant; other than that, everything else was
automatic. I hope I didn't just jinx myself...

-Steve Brown