[ale] One file, two LANs

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Fri Mar 14 11:47:12 EDT 2008

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, George Allen wrote:
> If they are *that* paranoid about security, here is *a* solution:
> Edit the file on net1.
> Burn version 20080313:2211-foo.xls to CD at the end of the day.
> Walk CD from net1 to net2, hand to big wazoo.
> Copy info off cd.
> Shred CD.

Reminds me of the days of writing code for ACH processing on a "FedWire/FedLine"
only we used floppies for small batches and zip-disks for large ones. You
are missing the 3 part NCR serial numbered (each page has a sequential serial number)
real time printout of each step of the operation ala:

  20080314 10:09:00  Login, User #1234
  20080314 10:10:15  Create file 20080314:1010-foo.xls
  20080314 10:39:12  User #1234 burned file 20080314:1010-foo.xls to CDROM
                     labelled Mule20080314:1010
  20080314 10:40:00  Login, User #1234

Telling stories:
In one case, the Z-Fold paper went directly into a large heavy steel
lockbox, the printer was in an adjoining locked box, and it logged
when either box was opened. This system was circumvented one day
by an operater simply quickly plugging a normal printer into the DOS 3.2
based PC (so the system would not timeout trying to print, and error out).
But alas, she thought she got away with it and came to work the next day.
The pages printed did not match the serial numbers, and the "smoke
detector" above the workstation had mysteriously turned into a video
camera and recorded everything. Note: When you mess with the Fed, your
civil rights are a joke and they lock you up quick while they figure out
what to do with you. Sadly, it was only a $10k batch transfer...