[ale] oocalc: a sad story from a oocalc newbie

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 23:01:38 EDT 2008

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 10:26 PM, Dow Hurst <Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com> wrote:

> Geoffrey,
> Nice to hear from you!  I think you've demonstrated then that OO's
> command line behavior is different from the GUI behavior.  I just
> checked on my local system that is Kubuntu and found it acts the same
> way.  I was assuming that the command line behavior would be similar to
> the GUI, especially if the current directory is not in the PATH
> variable.  It is not optimal to me to open a program from a certain
> directory and not have that as the working directory thru the GUI as the
> default.
> Best wishes,
> Dow

If you want to open a new spreadsheet and have oocalc use a file name you
provide on a command line and have that file appear in the current location
your shell is in, you are barking up the wrong tree. OOcalc just will not
perform in that manner. The command line functionality is very limited as
the package is all gui driven.

That said, OpenOffice.org can be extended with the UNO specifications using
python (and some java too, I think).  As the file type is essentially a
gzipped xml file, it will be tricky to create it on the fly and have oocalc
be happy with it. But you can crate a blank spreadsheet and save it and use
that as a template to work from. It may be easy to hack UNO and alter the
default save directory everytime the thing opens.

But the easiest way will be to simply accept the fact that you are just
getting old and crusty and just set in your ways and you like your porridge
a specific temperature and thickness, dammit! :)

--
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>