[ale] Shorewall and multiple ips

Greg Canter gcanter at speedfactory.net
Sat Mar 8 19:41:25 EST 2008

I currently am setting up a firewall on a vps slice from Slicehost.  I have
3 dedicated IP addresses and one interface.  The ip addresses are on eth0,
eth0:1, and eth0:2.  As you can see, the last2 addresses are on aliases.

I am trying to get Shorewall to set up the firewall but am having some
difficulties.  My questions are

1) Does anyone have any experience with Shorewall and if so can it be used
for this purpose ?  And

2) Can iptables handle each IP separately or does it just handle interfaces
?

Alas, Mr. Google has failed me in a definitive answer and thus I am looking
for any clues, hints , etc from the list.  My experience in firewalls is
primarily in OpenBSD and pf.

Thanks in advance,

Greg