[ale] What happened to the command line

George Allen glallen01 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 04:01:09 EST 2008

I was just noticing the other day while 'rtfm'-ing... the signal-to-noise on
has gone up the past couple of years with GUI trained types vs. command line
types.

Downloading slackware onto a stack of 20+ floppy disks may not have been the
most user-friendly way to learn, but at least I kindof knew what I was doing
by the time I'd read all those man pages... which are still my first
reference for anything.

But now lots of the docs and distros want you to do things with their tools...
and when I search online I tend to find myself reading the Gentoo docs -
because they're always based on doing most everything from scratch out
of /etc with vi. (or emacs) :)

I switched along time ago from slackware to debian then ubuntu, because I fell
in love with aptitude and no longer had time to find and compile everything I
wanted form scratch.

As an aside I never hear ncurses get any love - but for a clean fast interface
it tends to be more useful to me than the equivalent GUI programs. I usu.
have a yukake open with shells, midnight commander, sometimes mp3blaster or
cymbaline... and always aptitude or apt-get for pkg mgt. Tried synaptic or
that other one and hated it. As I remember all of slackware's old curses
dialogs were as simple and clean as an interface can get.

-G