[ale] oocalc: a sad story from a oocalc newbie

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Wed Mar 5 23:31:40 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 22:00 -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:

> >  ;-)  sad, yes.  But where to place the blame....
> >

> I'm a long, long, long time vi user.  (25 years. OMG!!)
>
> I expect to be able to type <editor> <file> and if it is new it just
> creates one for me.
>
> Or at least says "File does not exist.  Do you want to create it?"
>
> Fyi: I have no idea what MSO does in this situation and I don't care.
> I just don't think OO is meeting typical Linux behavior.
>
> To be honest, I've been using Linux as my desktop for 4 or 5 months.
> I've resorted to the vmware XP solution way more than I would have
> expected.
>
> Greg

Enquiring minds are dying to know why if you don't mind using xp's gui
why you wouldn't in Linux?

In Fedora 7/Gnome, either
openoffice.org -calc
or
oocalc
both open Calc but adding foo.xls only brings up in the gui a file not
found error but won't show anything in the terminal. I'd presume that
OpenOffice assumes you are running a gui desktop.  Of course, if you'd
like to change that behaviour, that'd be a good time to break out emacs,
vi, etc.

regards,
William