[ale] oocalc: a sad story from a oocalc newbie

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Wed Mar 5 19:32:17 EST 2008

Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
>> Greg Freemyer wrote:
>>  > Okay,
>>  >
>>  > I'm sitting at the command prompt in a given directory.  I want to
>>  > create a spreadsheet.
>>  >
>>  > I try "oocalc abc.xls"  and I get abc.xls does not exist. :<
>>  >
>>  > I try oocalc -? to see the override switch.
>>  >
>>  > It recommends (or that's how I read it)
>>  >
>>  > soffice -calc abc.xls
>>  >
>>  > I try that and give it a minute or two to open, still nothing.  I control-c.
>>  >
>>  > I try oocalc with no args at all.
>>  >
>>  > It just returns with no verbal info at all, and no gui.
>>  >
>>  > I go to my vmware XP install and launch excel....
>>  >
>>  > The end of my sad story.
>>
>>  Both of the following work for me:
>>
>>  soffice file.xls
>>  soffice --oocalc file.xls
>>
>>  Are you sure you just didn't wait long enough for it to start up?
>>

> I killed it after 3+ hours.  It must be a Samba / CIFS / OO 2.3
> interaction issue.
>
> I keep having weird things happen when I use that combo.

Try opening openoffice without specifying the file name.  In that case,
it would have nothing to do with the filesystem.  If it opens, then it's
likely you're correct, if it doesn't, then it's likely something wrong
with openoffice.

If it opens, try to open the file via file->open and see what happens.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin