[ale] [rant] I dislike "we only support winblows/OS X" AT&T internet

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Mar 3 11:45:28 EST 2008

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Jim Kinney wrote:

> Dropping DSL line is one of several things:
>
> 1. line noise - that will not get fixed by the phone co until it fails
> completely since it requires they roll a truck. You need a signal
> strength meter to verify. Phone co will only guarantee line quality to
> demarc site. Bad house wiring is often a problem.

Is there any semi-reasonable way to lay hands on a signal strength meter?
The wiring in the apartment is elderly.

> 2. Bad modem. Semi-frequent occurrence. Only way to verify is with
> another modem. If service is keyed to MAC then it requires MAC spoofing.
> Phone co is reluctant to replace it as they can't RMA it anyway.

This I could handle.

<<snip some other good stuff>>
> Good luck. The script-reading dweebs are useless and really don't care
> if you have service or not. As long as they read their script, they
> don't get in trouble. They also have no ability to run a line test from
> their end.
>
> Speakeasy tech support can and will run a line test first thing to see
> if there is a problem. Rather than argue with you, the person sending
> them money, the presume that you wouldn't be spending the time to call
> for help if the stuff was working. I've was terrified when Best Buy
> acquired Speakeasy but so far it is still the same Speakeasy I have been
> super pleased with for years.

I'll agree with you on Speakeasy. Only trouble with them is that here in
Charlotte they pretty much can not deliver dsl service. Outside the city
I've heard of success, but inside you get idsl from Speakeasy. I put up
with the limited service because of the quality of their support.

<<more snippage>>