[ale] Intelligent Power (was global warming) [OT]

George Allen glallen01 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 23:02:49 EST 2008

Still off topic but contains oblig. Linux ref.

Just remembered an idea I had... that's tangentailly related to global
warming.

Say - as a spin-off to 'The Matrix,' to fulfill our renewable power needs...
we used solar panels....

Say - layout a grid-array of solar panels over say... most of Nevada...
But they wouldn't just be panels.... There would be small gauge rail tracks
also laid throughout the grid. A small army of semi-intelligent robots
running 'clustered-robot-linux-single-system-image' with power and data
through the rail system would travel up and down the tracks constantly
cleaning, maintaining, and even building out more rail and panels. There
could be squeege models to clean, engineers to build, maintenance, etc...
Make everything modular so that the robots could pull and replace, and would
get all their parts from supply depots staged at the edge of the array.

Sortof like those leaf cutter ants that harvest the fungus they grow, or those
other ants that feed off the aphids... except these linux-ants would harvest
power.

Wonder if you could pull it off technically, how feasable it would be - as far
as power generated vs resources consumed?

-George