[ale] OT: Skype

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sun Jun 29 13:51:41 EDT 2008

Scott Castaline wrote:
> My current setup is phone with Charter which is VoIP but it is
> preallocated, dedicated, bandwidth (Qos) as opposed to sharing bandwidth
> with other forms of traffic, ie wifey web surfing, little Johnny playing
> networked video games, and the old man using the VoIP service through
> Broadband.. I beleive that is what causes the flakyness of FAXing. When
> the pipe is empty the FAX gets through, but when the pipe is like I285
> at 5PM M-F, good luck. What I meant to say in the beginning, is that the
> current setup works about 90 to 95% for FAXing which I found true for my
> previous  BellSlouth connection non digital.

This is true.  It is because in VoIP world you experience latency.
Latency is no
good for digital modes over analog.  When latency is low technically it
should work and does.

I did my own experimentation with modems.  At low speed and NO other traffic
I could get the two modems to sync.   One modem at my hose was attached
to an ATA.  The other a real pstn.   The modems never staid up that
long.   Retires were excessive.  When any traffic would enter the
network then the  modems  could not sync to each other.  I was able
connect at 300,1200, and 2400 bps.  Don't even think about 38400.

Chris