[ale] OT: Skype

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Sun Jun 29 11:10:13 EDT 2008

Scott Castaline wrote:
> So in other words numbering the elements with 1 being the tip it would be:
> 1. Mike
> 2. Earpiece
> 3. Gnd

Yep, that's it.
> Also, can I have skype on 2 different PCs that are on the same LAN
> utilizing the same account/phone #? In that case would it ring on both
> PCs and could the call be answered on either one? Are you able to FAX
> through Skype? These are questions that I just can't seem to find
> answers for at the site or other places, so I apologise for doing so
> here, but *I *do use Linux, even though my wife doesn't. Although she is
> now willing to try Ubuntu on her personal PC, now if I could get Georgia
> DHR to convert, I'd be really happy.

I don't have SkypeIn so I can't say for sure, but I have had two Skype
windows up on different systems and when someone brings up a chat window
it appears on both and the noise comes from both.  I can use either to
reply.

Faxing over VOIP appears to be flakey.  Sometimes it works and sometimes
it doesn't.  At least that's what I've seen reported.  I've not seen any
reports about Skype specific faxing, but since other services have
experienced some trouble, Skype will probably have the same I would
think.  The faxing issue is entirely second hand, what I've read.  I've
not tried it myself since I don't have a fax machine.

Jim.