[ale] red hat naming

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Fri Jun 27 18:48:19 EDT 2008

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> my boss asked me a question, and I couldn't find an answer..
> if someone has Shrike ( red hat 9 ?)
> we need to know what version of RHEL that is, or is it RHEL..
> we might need to upgrade the RHEL version for our application. I'm thinking it
> might be RHEL 3 update 2, or maybe update 4...

I googled "red hat" "shrike" and lots of useful things came up. Shrike
is version 9, the last release, of Red Hat Linux.

"Since 2003, Red Hat has discontinued the Red Hat Linux line in favor of
Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) for enterprise environments. Fedora,
developed by the community-supported Fedora Project and sponsored by Red
Hat, is the free version best suited for the home environment. Red Hat
Linux 9, the final release, hit its official end-of-life on 2004-04-30"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Linux

-Brian