[ale] Switching video drivers

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Thu Jun 26 10:16:09 EDT 2008

Jim Kinney wrote:

> as root edit/etc/inittab and set runlevel to 3.
>
> reboot
> log in as root and run
>
> service kudzu start
> that should pick up the card change and configure X
>
> startx
>
> if things are still off after X is up, system->administration->display
> will gui-fy a resetting. Some resolution changes require restarting X.
> As you are not running a 'dm, just log out and startx again
>
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Scott Castaline <hscast at charter.net
> <mailto:hscast at charter.net>> wrote:
>
>     Brian Pitts wrote:
>     > hscast at charter.net <mailto:hscast at charter.net> wrote:
>     >
>     >> Keeps on switching back to nvidia after reboot.
>     >>
>     >
>     > Did you remove the nvidia card? If you had it installed, did you
>     remove
>     > nvidia's binary driver?
>     >
>     > -Brian
>     > Ale mailing list
>     > Ale at ale.org <mailto:Ale at ale.org>
>     >
>     >
>     I had already removed the nVIDIA card. Removing the drivers and all of
>     compiz-fusion seemed to fix it. Now I have to go through everything to
>     fix the appearance. FireFox displays everything so large that I
>     can read
>     it from the next room without glasses, while T'bird I need a
>     magnifying
>     glass to read the folders and lists, message preview is okay.
>     Everything
>     is out of wack as far as proportions. It seems to lock into res of
>     1024x768, with the nVIDIA card I had 1440x900.

> James P. Kinney III

Thanks Jim, I finally did get it working. That was the 2nd eVGA card in
less than a year. Last time I was able to go get a replacement right
away so I didn't go through all of this. This time I have to wait.
Unfortunately since I only have PCI on my MoBo it seems I'm kind of
limited on availible cards. I do miss the higher res that it did offer,
everything looks so funky at my current res. Anybody have any experience
with the PNY version of FX 5200? I'm not a gamer so I don't need all of
the fancy stuff the high end boards offer and besides they seem to only
come in PCI-e. Also I'm wondering if maybe my embedded video chip may
have been causing a problem. I had switched from AGP to PCI in the BIOS
for booting, but is it possible that Fedora was trying to run both?