[ale] VPN Howto?

Giulio (lists) lists at cruton.info
Wed Jun 25 14:06:58 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 25 June 2008, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> All,
>
> Is there a good VPN overview site that discusses current
> implementations and helps decide which one is right for our needs?
>
> ===> background
>
> We have various remote users running Linux and Windows.  Some from
> permanent locations like their houses, but we also would like to
> support people connecting in from random remote spots.
>
> I'm trying to research what my VPN options are.  I have a basic
> understanding of the technology, but I'm not current on the various
> implementations.
>
> I'd like to come up with a solution that leverages the D-Link
> router we have.  It supports various VPN technologies, but I don't
> know enough to know if I can get clients for any of them, or if I
> have to have another D-Link router at the other end to establish
> the VPN.
>
> Thanks
> Greg

Last time I checked, long ago:

IPsec VPNs. (Openswan). Good stuff, supports many commercial routers
and has clients for everyone.

SSL VPN's. (OpenVPN). Can be tweaked to death. No commercial
support.Windows client. Firewall friendly. Good docs. My choice.

PPTP. Windows native "VPN". I think there is a PPTP server for the
penguin.

Look in the archives, I remember seeing a thread about this.

Giulio