[ale] Library is blocking my web site!

Steve Brown braino420 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 13:28:23 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:16 PM, Robert Reese~ <ale at sixit.com> wrote:

> Of course, you can always have her to boot up to a Live CD.  ;c)

That still wouldn't work if the site is being blocked at the router level.
This might be a bit too technical for your wife to pull off at the library,
but you could try setting up a poor man's proxy with ssh [0]. The library
might allow exe's [putty] to be downloaded to the desktop and ran, but if
they don't then a liveCD could be used. If they won't let you boot from a
CD, then your wife will have to open up the computer and reset the BIOS and
then boot from the CD/thumbdrive <g>. The library is prob using Winders, but
the setup for IE is similar. I tried it yesterday, I can give you detailed
instructions if you want :) The library could also be blocking all ports but
80/443, so you might have to run your ssh server on those ports. I ran into
the problem yesterday at my gf's work where it wouldn't recognize my DynDNS
hostname so I had to use my actual IP.

-Steve Brown

[0]
http://thinkhole.org/wp/2006/05/10/howto-secure-firefox-and-im-with-putty/