[ale] Charter School opportunity potential

Daniel Howard dhhoward at comcast.net
Tue Jun 24 16:03:47 EDT 2008

Fellow ALE'ers,

As I think about our recent dialog, and what I see as a growing
opportunity because of Georgia HB 881 and my prediction of a plethora of
charter schools arising as a consequence, I want to start a dialog on
what a next generation IT support person for such schools should be.
Now, please, let's not get distracted on whether charter schools are a
good or bad thing for education; I'd like to focus on the opportunity it
provides for helping schools make Linux and/or Open Source part of their
mix to improve technology and academic performance, based on their
independence from the rest of the system.

My guess is most of these schools are currently Windows outfits, use a
variety of proprietary software for teachers/admin (in Georgia,
SASI/Class XP for example).  But with business folk typically on their
charter board, ideas for lower cost/increased performance should
resonate well with them.  Plus, they are likely to be interested in and
capable of hiring their own IT support person.

So the question is can we provide them with such a person who can help
them make a transition but focus initially on existing issues?  We would
need IT folks savvy in both Linux and Windows (and maybe even Mac if
they have multimedia labs, e.g.).  And given that they're starting off
with a system that probably is challenged, we need someone who can solve
immediate problems while setting the stage for Linux/Open Source
solutions.  For example, every Charter school I've talked to liked the
idea of setting up a router that combines both district/county internet
feeds with a locally augmented cable modem for improved bandwidth and
reliability, and adds a proxy server to filter web content under their
management and control.  They could all care less whether this is a
Linux or other solution, it just has to work and be within the budget.
Plus, initially there will likely be a need to get their teacher/admin
PCs functional if they're having problems, perhaps via installation of
Open Source virus protection/management packages, and maybe improved
management of Windows servers if they're currently in use.  So this IT
person needs to have good knowledge of Windows network and platform
management to start with, albeit using OpenSource solutions in the
wiring closet where appropriate.

But next, the IT person needs solid people skills and knowledge of Linux
solutions like K12LTSP, Squid/Dansguardian, and maybe even Asterisk if
they want to set up a low cost phone system, so that he/she can set up
demonstrations, can calmly address the issues that are inevitably
raised, and continue to hammer on the benefits of adding Linux/Open
Source to the mix.  Or not even mention the fact that it's
Linux/OpenSource, just continue adding functionality and features for
the school perhaps?  And ultimately assist in training on the new system
as well as adding new software applications when teachers request it.

But the people skills requirement is I think paramount.  The focus
will likely initially be on solving current problems in the windows
environment (Windows desktops and servers), and not on Microsoft/Linux
or District/County issues.  The ideal IT person will need to be patient
and while focusing on a long term goal, for the immediate term set
procedure, and create documentation, and facilitate good use practices.
  And keep good track of trouble tickets (another Open Source
opportunity).  Such data on the existing system could be invaluable in
making the ultimate case for adding Linux/Open Source, plus by the time
the case is to be made for putting Linux in the classroom or on the
teacher's PCs, there may already be so much Linux in the back office
that it seems natural...  Coming in and blasting Windows from the get go
will probably poison some of them against Linux, I'm thinking.  And not
fixing the existing issues with their Windows staff requirements will
result in lost credibility for any new approach proposed.  Finally I
note that some of these charter schools may have a focus on specific
cultures or be run by folks that lean heavily to one political side or
the other, so our ideal IT person also needs tolerance of other cultures
(beyond just Windows).

So does my ideal IT support person for Charter Schools, that are
establishing their independence from local district/county management
and open to new approaches, even exist?  Can we be such vocal proponents
of Linux/OpenSource, but still go in and fix immediate problems without
constantly grumbling that they need to switch to Linux overnight?  I
really feel what made Brandon and subsequently APS work was that we left
the teacher's PCs and apps alone and focused just on adding more PCs to
the classroom via K12LTSP and upgrading existing PCs to become servers.
  And this solves all the problems recently discussed with support of
legacy applications that teachers use, for example.

What does the group think?  My sense is that many of us might not want
the job if there was primarily Windows support initially and only the
promise of openness to Linux (although that's more than I started with,
at least at the district level).  Also, is this really two people, one
to come in as a consultant, talk to the school and architect a solution
including a transition phase, and another to implement and manage it?
If such folks exist, can I get some contact info so I can recommend them
when the schools ask me for a lead (as I hope and suspect will happen)?

Best,
Daniel
--
Daniel Howard