[ale] Programming language groups in ATL

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Jun 24 09:40:25 EDT 2008

Chris Kleeschulte wrote:
> I know this is a linux related group, but I prefer linux people to
> windows types when it comes to programming languages. I have recently
> become keenly interested in the Erlang programming language. I can't
> seem to find a local ATL group for this. If anyone is interested in
> Erlang or functional programming in general. Can you guide me as to
> where to go for local groups? I suspect that there are some Lisp
> programmers out there that can help.

There is a lot of text on the Internet on the difference between a
Windows programmer and a UNIX programmer.   I have one generalization
that I think fits the most.

The UNIX programmer will write a program to work on the CLI first.  Then
that programmer will develop a GUI that executes the CLI program.  We
see this often in Linux.

The Windows programmer will design the GUI first.  There will be forms
and buttons with no code behind them.  After the design is mostly done
that same programmer will start writing the real code that does real work.