[ale] Remote controlled port forwarder

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Mon Jun 23 11:34:43 EDT 2008

Atlanta Geek wrote:
> Hello All,
> I have a flex application that needs to talk to another device over a
> socket. The rules for flex (similar to Java) are that you can only
> open sockets back to the server you originated from (unless given
> special permission otherwise) I was thinking I could get around this
> by running a port forwarding application on the server. However I
> prefer this to run in User space and that the ports could be changed
> from another application without restarting the port forwarding
> application. (eg dont want to modify the config file and then restart
> the server)
> Any suggestions.

If humans are going to manually set up the forwarded ports, I would
dispense with having an application on the server for this, and
simply use iptables to configure in-kernel port forwarding.  You
could slap some kinda GUI on top of the iptables command if desired
(I imagine this has already been done several dozen times).

-- JK

--
I do not particularly want to go where the money is -
  it usually does not smell nice there. -- A. Stepanov