[ale] Notes from Jun 19th meeting

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Mon Jun 23 09:42:19 EDT 2008

Daniel Howard wrote:
> Thanks Mike for the Inkscape solution, I'll show my teachers that one
> first of next year.  Coupled with the graphics on OpenClipArt, it should
> meet the needs of both teachers and non-profits.

I assure you that any teachers using Printshop will not see that as an
alternative solution.  You will find that Printshop is used by a large
number of teachers.  For the most part, they'll be using it at home
though, so I don't see this as a major issue when converting schools to
Linux thin clients.

> Jim's commentary got me thinking: what I need to do is stop arguing
> about supporting an old application, and focus on what they can do with
> the new system.

You should focus on what they can do with the new system, but you simply
can not ignore existing applications.  I really don't understand this
thought process.  Certainly you wouldn't suggest the same approach to a
paying client?

> With K12LTSP and TeacherTool, teachers have
> unprecedented control over what kids do with the computers, even beyond
> what they're seeing at the Educational Tech conferences to which Jim
> referred.  So, for my next school, I'm going to include a demo of
> TeacherTool and show them why a thin client architecture makes sense and
> what they can do with it is well beyond what they currently do.  I'm
> guessing that a new capability/software application will trump any
> resistance from supporting an old application, especially if I can show
> them they can still do the old stuff if they really want to.

That last line is the key.  You've got to be able to let them continue
to 'get the job done.'  How that is, doesn't matter as long as they can
do it.

As for Printshop, I plan to revisit trying to get it it working with the
latest version of crossover (7, which just came out.)

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin