[ale] Is Sound in Linux Single-Threaded?

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 05:35:10 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Based on my observation it seems that the sound for my linux box is
single threaded.  If one device uses sound, it seems to lock it and if
another application tries to use it, it is pretty much unsuccessful.  Is
this true or do I not have the right drivers installed.  Here's my
setup:

Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
Model: SBx00 Azalia
Module: snd-hda-intel

PCM Device: ALC883 Analog

ALSA Driver version: Driver Version 1.0.16rc2
ALSA Lib package(s): alsa-lib-1.0.16-3.fc8
ALSA Utils package(s): alsa-utils-1.0.16-3.fc8

I'm running Fedora 8.  Thanks for the clarification.