[ale] pkg-config --define-variable error

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 14:36:39 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 2:03 PM, JK <jknapka at kneuro.net> wrote:

> Jim Lynch wrote:
>
> > I think you're mixing source and rpm files.  When you install an rpm, it
> > looks for dependencies in other rpms that have been loaded.  Even though
> > you installed taglib-sharp from source, the "rpm system" doesn't know
> > about it.  I don't have a Fedora box running right now, so I can't tell
> > you how to fix it for sure.  If you have yum installed, try:
> >
> > yum search banshee
> >
> > To see if there is an rpm in your repository list.  If not, then you
> > might try:
> >
> > yum localinstall banshee-1.0.0-1.fc9.x86_64.rpm
> >
> > Hopefully it will find the taglib-sharp in the repositories.  Yum has
> > alleviated dependency hell to a great degree.
>
> I agree with Jim.  There seem to be two different approaches to
> dependency checking here (pkg-config's and RPM's), and they're
> not playing nice together.
>
> A rich ecosystem of Linux and other FOSS OS distros is nice, but
> this particular aspect (ninety-bajillion different forms of
> package management) can really suck sometimes. It does seem
> to be getting better, though, with stuff like aptitude and yum.
>
> -- JK
>
> --
> I do not particularly want to go where the money is -
>  it usually does not smell nice there. -- A. Stepanov

Thank you everyone for your responses, I've gotten a much better idea of
what's going on now.  Funny thing is I tried yum on my laptop, running
Fedora 9 and it installed with no issues. Looks like I need to upgrade my
desktop to F9.
--
Marc F.

"..Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come.."
-Rev1:4