[ale] Brookhaven-area PC shop recommendations?

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 13 22:57:34 EDT 2008

Ed,

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 21:51 -0400, Ed L. Cashin wrote:
> 2008/6/13 Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com>:
> > For older systems, online may be a better bet. That said, I like MicroCenter
> > (not in Brookhaven but worth the drive usually) as they often stock many
> > parts for older systems (and they are new parts). You can likely get a
> > replacement fan for that dead one (chipset fans on stuff of that type are
> > not thermostat controlled).
>
> Thanks a lot.  I didn't know the fan for the memory controller
> wouldn't be temperature activated, so it sounds like that might
> be the problem.  (Which might be bad.  I don't know whether
> the memory controller is replaceable.)
>
> Anyways---I would like to avoid online just to get this done
> in a day, so I'll check out MicroCenter.  This is the one you
> mean?
>
>   1275 Powers Ferry Rd SE # 50
>   Marietta, GA 30067
>   (770) 859-1540
>   microcenter.com‎

	Let me second the MicroCenter recommendation.  There's one near me in
Duluth, actually just off I85 near Gwinnett Mall.  From Brookhaven,
either one is a trip, although the one in Duluth *MIGHT* be closer.  Hit
Google maps and see for sure.

	Good luck!

P.S. There are a LOT of mom-n-pop shops just off Jimmy Carter Blvd near
I85 that are really cheap, but that's the problem with their
merchandise: its really cheap!  I've found that MicroCenter gives as
good prices as anyone else, especially Fry's, but the folks there are a
bit more knowledgeable.

P.P.S.  That may be another reason to head to Duluth: Fry's is pretty
near also.  Its worth going there once just for the experience.  Even
so, IMHO, MicroCenter still has the edge.

Danny