[ale] New form of spam or phising?

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Tue Jun 10 21:40:29 EDT 2008

William Bagwell wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 June 2008, Scott Castaline wrote:
>
>> Just received an email with subject of failure notice from
>> MAILER-DAEMON at kidsi.net. It appeared that I had sent an email to an
>> unknown recipient and it was being returned. I tried kidsi.net on my
>> browser (FF3.0b) and it appears to be an Asian based site and
>> immediately a large message box popped up making some statement about
>> sharing Fedora 9. I cancelled of course, but to be honest I'm not sure
>> what just happened. Any ideas?
>>

> Tried kidsi.net with both Konqueror and Firefox (2.0.0.13) on Mandriva with no
> pop ups or warnings of them being blocked. Site seems Innocent to me. Not
> that I can read it...
>
> As to the spam, delete it and move on. LARTing spam has pretty much been a
> waste of time for years now. I still occasionally do fake or obscene log ins
> on obvious phishing scams. Wasting a bit of *their* time can be a great
> stress reliever:)

Just tried it again, it was actually just alerting me that I needed a
certain "non-free" codec to fully utilize the site. I had never seen
this before on Fedora 9 and my significant other was bellowing uhum, I
mean calling for me, so I had just quickly hit cancel and did not see
the second popup that better explained it. Oh oh there she goes again,